Unfortunately, all companies are vulnerable to fraud and small businesses, in particular, are often the target of the most common form of fraud: phishing scams. As an independent professional, you’re likely juggling multiple responsibilities and can’t afford to lose time or money to scammers. Here is some important information you should know in order to protect your business.
WHAT’S A PHISHING SCAM?
- Phishing scams are fraudulent emails that appear to come from legitimate sources. They may look like an email from your bank, your friends, your family, or even from StyleSeat.
- Scammers use these emails to steal sensitive information from unsuspecting victims.
- This sensitive information can be used to steal money and in some cases, the victim’s identity.
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR
- Emails that seem urgent and ask you to take action immediately.
- Emails that ask you to “click a link” to verify your information. Sometimes it only takes one “click” for a scammer to steal your information.
- Emails that ask you to enter private information like a SSN, credit card number, or login information.
- Here are some additional examples.
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF
- Do NOT click on any links if you are unsure about them.
- Only read emails in plain text. Phishing emails often contain clickable images that, when clicked, can have devastating consequences.
- Forward any suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to verify them.
- All legitimate emails from StyleSeat will end in “@styleseat.com” or “@styleseathelp.zendesk.com”
Looking for tools to help you run your business? Try StyleSeat here.
For more business tips, check out these articles: