Is Your Business Instagramable?
Build your brand awareness by encouraging clients to take selfies.
Why do you want people to take photos of your business?
Two words -- free advertising. When clients share photos of your business, or the work you do, it helps drive word of mouth activity online.
They might post a photo of your barber shop, their freshly shaped brows, or a selfie of their glowing skin right after their facial. Clients can reach an audience of friends and family who know them, and are likely to trust their opinion. This can sometimes be more effective than running an ad, especially as people are becoming conditioned to ignore most ads as they no longer want to be sold to.
Did you know that 70% of users search brands and companies on Instagram? They will turn to social media (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.) for recommendations as well as inspiration.
How many times have you scrolled through your Instagram feed and seen a photo of your friend’s awesome nail art and wondered where she got it done? Or maybe your cousin posts a photo of a massage table and you immediately think … “I could use one of those too” and you look to see which spa they tagged in the photo?
Give your clients the tools they need, and most will promote you all on thier own - you won't even have to ask!
With that said, let's make it super easy for them to talk about you. Here are the steps you can take to make your business more “Instagramable":
Display your Social Media Info
- Start by displaying your social media account information somewhere in your business.
- You can do this by making a sign and adding an “@” symbol in front of your social media handles (e.g. we are styleseat on instagram). You want to make it easy for your clients to tag your business.
- Try printing out this information and placing it in a frame that matches the esthetic of your business.
Pro tip: While you don’t have to ask them to do so, clients will be more likely to post a photo if you include a Call-To-Action. Your sign could simply say “Tag us on Instagram” and that small change in language lets your clients know you appreciate client selfies.
If you can offer courtesy wifi to your clients, make sure to display your wifi password as well.
Good Lighting + Clean Business
- Make sure you have good lighting. Dim lighting makes it impossible to take a flattering photo on a your phone.
- If you have a large window with tons of natural light, make sure that space is available to take photos in front of.
- If your business environment is dark, it may be worth investing in some lighting. Photos of your salon or your work are essential for marketing. We cannot stress enough -- it is always want good lighting.
- Make sure your business is tidy. If you are extremely busy and you don’t have time to keep every corner of your business in tip top shape, make sure there is at least one area that is always clean and ready-to-go if clients want to take pictures.
Fun or Memorable Decor
- Keep in mind, you want to create a space where your clients want to take a photo. What would you take a photo in front of? What is unique and fun about your business? Maybe you have a beautiful waiting room with a unique couch. Or you have interesting art on the walls. Or you have beautiful mirrors or great hanging plants.
- Something this simple can really up your Instagram game. If you could use some ideas, here is a link to our Pinterest Board with tons of examples.
Tag @styleseat on Instagram with any examples you have of your salon/spa so we can potentially feature you on our own social media accounts.