Whether you’re a professional bridal makeup artist or an eager student just out of beauty school, one thing is always true in the beauty industry — a consistent client list is key.
If you’re curious about exactly how to get clients as a makeup artist, we’ve got you covered. From increasing your social presence to building your portfolio, we know just how to land you those loyal beauty enthusiasts that will keep your day planner filled.
Read on for all the best tips and tricks of the trade!
Increase Your Social Presence
When you’re trying to figure out how to get more clients as a makeup artist, a great place to start is increasing your social presence. If you’re new to the social media game — or simply prefer to stay offline — the task may seem daunting at first.
Thankfully, with a few simple tips, you can be on your way to social media stardom in no time (or at least, on your way to increasing your presence and drumming up some business for your freelance makeup career).
- Choose Your Outlet: Will it be Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Twitter, or all of the above? The good news is, you don’t have to do them all! Choose an outlet that gets you excited. If you need some guidance as to where your target audience turns for their social media connections, ask some clients what they’re using and why.
- Set A Goal: Part of being a successful freelance makeup artist is setting goals, even when it comes to social media. Is your goal to book new clients or an exciting new makeup job, keep existing clients happy with tutorials, or simply get yourself out there and make connections in the beauty industry? Once you narrow down your goal, the sky’s the limit with what you can do on social media.
- Create a Strategy: Having a content creation strategy will not only save your social media sanity, but will also help with your plan for how to get more makeup clients. Below are some ideas to put on your content calendar and implement into your soon-to-be successful strategy.
- Post Products: Have a makeup brush or makeup cleaner you just can’t get enough of? Posting products is a wonderful way to keep your clients engaged and share your makeup knowledge.
- Post Client Pictures: Upcoming plans to do bridal makeup or makeup application for a special occasion? When your session is through, ask your client if you can snap some shots for social.
- Post Tutorials: Those of us who are less skilled than the professionals at makeup application love seeing tutorials. Guiding your viewers and followers through a professional tutorial is a wonderful way to show off your makeup skills and connect with your audience.
With all of these social strategies for how to get more clients as a makeup artist, the key to success is to do what you love and show off your passion!
Promote Your Portfolio
As you come up with your plan for how to get more clients as a freelance makeup artist, one of the most important things to do is promote your portfolio. A makeup artist portfolio not only shows off your best work, but it gives your potential clients a point of reference and entices them to click that book button.
At StyleSeat, our makeup artist profiles help convert your client views into bookings. With your online portfolio, you can add photos and descriptions, pin your top review, include service descriptions, and update your hours and availability (be sure to optimize your StyleSeat profile for bookings).
With your makeup artist website or profile, it’s important to frequently update it. Remember, you want your clients to see your best. As you grow as a professional makeup artist, make sure your image and reviews reflect that.
Attend Makeup Expos or Events
Makeup expos or events are a simple way to network and therefore, a useful tool for how to get more makeup clients! The makeup industry is all about connections, so branching out and attending events will put you on the path toward growing that client list.
You can certainly go the generic route with your events, but it’s also helpful to think about your own unique specialty. Interested in theatrical makeup, special effects makeup, or wildly glam makeup? Narrow down your search to find events that fit your skills and interests. When you do that, you’ll be more likely to connect with the right people.
If you’re having trouble finding events that pique your interest, don’t be afraid to ask around online or in person at your favorite makeup counter!
Do Creative Shoots or Project Shoots
Creative shoots or project shoots are not just fun and artistically inspiring, but they’re also a good way to get exposure. Here are some things to keep in mind as you plan your photoshoot.
- Think Social Media: Connecting with influencers or content creators on social media can help to get you out there and is one of the best ideas for how to get clients as a makeup artist. Peek around to find people whose posts are in line with what you offer, like a beauty blogger who focuses on natural makeup or a fashion influencer who posts a lot of glitter and glam.
- Plan Your Shoot: Even if you’re not utilizing a professional photographer or going the whole nine years with your photoshoot, it’s helpful to plan things out beforehand. These days, our phones can capture some stellar shots. Take a look around Pinterest for some inspiration or visit the StyleSeat profiles of fellow artists to check out their makeup art.
Build Industry Relationships
When you’re in the makeup artist business, building industry relationships is important. And if you’re trying to figure out how to get clients as a makeup artist, connecting with your fellow beauty professionals is the perfect place to start.
Here are some tips for building relationships as a freelance makeup artist.
- Beauty School Connections: Are you currently enrolled in makeup school or did you attend school in the past? Think of your connections and reach out via social media, phone, or email.
- Keep it Authentic: A few strong connections are more important than a bunch of connections that aren’t too meaningful. Focus on crafting authentic and genuine relationships with makeup artists you truly connect with.
- Word-of-Mouth Marketing: Use word-of-mouth marketing to help promote your fellow makeup artistry pals. Have a gal who does lashes or killer wedding makeup? Excellent! Spread the word to your clients and have them do the same for you. That way, you all benefit from the exposure.
How StyleSeat Increases Your Clientele
If you’re on the quest for how to get clients for makeup business, we’re here to help! At StyleSeat, we know that scoring those clients — especially the high-end ones — can be tough. We also know that a loyal clientele is essential to building your business and thriving as a makeup artist.
Whether you’re fresh out of beauty school and just getting started or you’re a seasoned pro with a decade of experience, our makeup artist marketing program is designed to help you add the right kind of potential clients to your list.
Here’s how it works:
- We connect you with clients who are a custom fit for your business and you only pay when you get booked.
- You choose the type of clients you want and we’ll help you get discovered.
- As part of our plan for how to get makeup clients for our users, we run ads and promote your makeup artist profile across search engines and social media. Again, you only pay when we get you a new makeup client booking!
- When we connect you with your makeup client, you give them a private rating, which helps us find more potential clients who are a good fit.
- We only keep 35 percent of the first appointment for each new client that books with you and all tips are all yours.
- Then, we use that money, to invest back into more marketing for your makeup business.
- After your cosmetology appointment is over, we encourage your client to leave a 5-star review and to pre-book their next appointment.
- We also encourage your makeup client to refer you to all their makeup-loving friends! Profits from all future appointments with them go directly to you.
Now that you know how to get more makeup clients through StyleSeat, we encourage you to create your profile today! Your StyleSeat profile in combination with all these other handy dandy tricks ensures your schedule will be full — and that you’ll be happy!
From all of us at StyleSeat, we’re wishing you the best of luck on your makeup business journey ahead.